I’ve been on a bit of a muffin craze lately.. It’s all good cause muffins are great, you can have them for breakfast, lunch, snack.. well pretty much anytime of the day and it’s not like, wait..what. you had a muffin?? 😉 I had peanut butter and jelly on my mind.. and thought what a perfect combination for my next muffin creation.. and they tunred out amazing (if I don’t say so myself!) With a bursting of Jelly and PB in the middle finished with a nice crumbled topping they make the perfect “any time” of day treat! 🙂
PB&J crumble muffins
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white I use the carton of liquid egg white, 1 is 2Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp light peanut butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup milk I used skim
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5.5 Tbsp reduced sugar strawberry jam
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- For the Crumb topping
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2.5 Tbsp flour
- 3/4 Tbsp melted butter or calories reduced margarine
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a regular sized 12 hole muffin tin with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl beat together your egg, egg white and brown sugar, add in 2 Tbsp of peanut butter (leaving 1Tbsp aside) and continue beating.
- Stir in your apple sauce, milk and vanilla extract.
- Mix in flour and baking powder.
- Use 1/3 of your batter and evenly divide over your 12 muffin cups. Place 4 Tbsp (1/4 cup) of your jam in a little zip lock bag (you will be saving the other 1.5Tbsp for your topping) cut off tip of bag and pipe over 12 muffins in the center.
- Melt your remaining 1Tbsp of peanut butter in a small bowl for 45 seconds in microwave, using a small spoon drizzle over your muffins.
- Top muffins with remaining batter.
- In a small bowl mix your 2 Tbsp brown sugar and 2.5Tbsp of flour together, stir in your melted butter until a crumb texture forms, sprinkle over your 12 muffins.
- Take your remaining 1.5Tbsp of jam and melt in microwave for 25 seconds, use a spoon and drizzle over your 12 muffins.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes, let cool for 5 minutes.
- Makes 12 muffins at 4 smart points or 3 points plus each.
- Nutritional info per muffin..Calories 114...Fat 2.5g...Saturated fat 0.5g...Carbs 19.7g...Fiber 0.8g...Sugars 7.2g...Protein 3.4g