Chilly fall days (with winter lurking) calls for comfort food.. and casserole are great for that! This chicken pot pie recipe is really easy to put together and sure to be a hit. The pillsbury biscuits are a perfect topping and really make it filling and satisfying. It serves up 9 small portions at 5 freestyle smart points.
Chicken pot pie casserole
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1.5 cups fresh chopped broccoli
- 3 Tbsp reduced fat margarine
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/3 cups milk I used 1%
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Salt & pepper
- 1-284 ml can low fat cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked and cubed chicken about 12oz
- 1-7.5 oz package pillsbury biscuits in the 4 value pack
- Chop your carrots and place in a microwave safe bowl, add 1 Tbsp water and cover with saran wrap, poke a small hole to vent. Place in microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large pan on med-low, add carrots, broccoli and onions and let cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring often. Remove from stove and place in a bowl with your cubed chicken.
- Preheat oven to 400F, spray a 9x13 casserole dish and set aside.
- Using the same pan you used for your vegetables melt your margarine over med-low heat. Stir in your flour and then whisk in your milk. Let simmer for 5 minutes, add your parsley and salt & pepper to taste.
- Stir in your can of soup and your chicken broth and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Stir in your vegetables and chicken and mix well.
- Pour mixture into your casserole dish and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place 9 (of your 10) biscuits on top (raw biscuits) you will have 1 extra. Return to oven for 12 minutes, until biscuits are a golden color. Let cool for 5 minutes. Makes 9 servings.
- *note, you can add some peas and lower the broccoli or carrots if you wish.