This tasty recipe was basically created as I had some shredded chicken I needed to use up. I looked what else I had in my fridge and saw a package of the Pillsbury reduced fat crescent rolls, found at most grocery stores. This chicken parmesan croissant bread is a super easy recipe to make and the end result is so good. Makes 8 servings at 5 freestyle smart points each, you could pair it with some zero point or low point side dishes for a meal or serve it up at your next party as an appetizer. It is not something you can pick up at eat with your fingers, you’ll need a fork but I promise it’s worth it..
chicken parmesan croissant loaf
- 1 package Pillsbury reduced fat crescent rolls
- 1.5 cups 6oz cooked shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella (I use Trader Joe's brand)
- 1 cup reduced fat tomato pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Italian seasoning
- Egg whites to brush the loaf bread before baking
- Preheat oven to 375F, spray a large baking sheet with some cooking spray.
- Lay out your crescent dough into one big piece and pinch any seems closed.
- Using a pizza cutter you want to cut lines all the way down (even on each side) so you can braid the loaf, leaving the middle uncut for your filling (see picture above)
- In a bowl mix your chicken, pasta sauce, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese, leave 1/2 Tbsp of parm cheese for sprinkling on top.
- Place your chicken mixture on your croissant dough filling the middle from the top to the bottom, then using the cut sides braid the bread to seal it closed. Brush egg whites on bread.
- Sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese on top and italian seasoning, bake in the oven for approximately 23 minutes or until dough is a golden brown.
- Cut into 8 equal portions, the middle pieces can't be picked up as easy as the end pieces and will require a fork to eat.. This will freeze well
Smart points- (green) 5 using SP calculator
Points plus- 5 using PP calculator
Nutritional info (incl all ingredients) Calories 177...Fat 7.6g..Sat fat 2.8g...Carbs 15.9g...Fiber 1g...Sugar 4.3g...Protein 13.2g using My Fitness Pal