If there's ripe banana's in my house you can bet there will soon to be something in the oven. I wanted to make a muffin and I wanted to do something a little different. Someone on my Facebook page had asked for a bran muffin.. I remembered I had a box of Kellogs all bran buds in my cupboard so I thought, well lets give it a go.. I get asked a lot how or where I find my recipes, and honestly my brain never shuts down 😉 I am always thinking of different ways to mix things up and I just experiment.. 99% of the time I am happy with the end result.. These banana bran muffins are delicious.. my husband and daughter loved them too 🙂 And they are only 4 smart points each!
Banana bran muffins
- 2 ripe mashed banana's
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- ⅓ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ⅓ cup almond milk you can substitute with skim
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup Quaker oats
- 1 cup Kellog's all bran buds
- 1 ¼ cup white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon calories reduce margarine
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 raw almonds chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a 12 hole regular muffin tin.
- In a large bowl beat together your banana's and brown sugar, add in egg, egg white, apple sauce, milk and vanilla. Mix for a few minutes.
- Stir in your cereal, oats, flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Fill your muffin cups with the batter.
- In the microwave melt your honey and margarine for 30 seconds, stir in your cinnamon.
- Drizzle with a spoon on to the tops of your muffin batter equally, then top with chopped almonds.
- Bake in oven for 20-22 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes. Use a knife to scrape around edges and carefully remove muffins. makes 12 regular sized muffins at 4sp or 3pp each. Store in a sealed container in the fridge, will freeze well.
- Nutritional info (not incl banana) per muffin.. calories 114...Fat 2g... Saturated fat 0.3g... Carbs 22.9g... Fiber 4.2g... Sugars 6.5g... Sodium 77.9mg... Protein 3.6g