I wanted to create a new donut recipe, cause let's face there can never be enough donut flavors 🙂 I was looking for something sweet, but not too sweet, and I had coconut on my mind..so voila..these toasted coconut donuts were made..and they are delicious! Only 4 smart points each and the perfect amount of sweetness 🙂
Toasted coconut donuts
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tablespoon white cake mix this can be replaced with extra flour if you don't keep cake mix in the house, I always do, it keeps well and I love the added sweetness and texture it gives to my donuts
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon liquid egg whites
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk can substitute with skim if nut allergy
- 5 tablespoon toasted sweetened coconut flakes
- ½ tablespoon honey
- Heat oven to broil and toast your coconut by laying on a baking sheet and putting under broil for about 5 minutes checking often to prevent burning. Then set oven to 350F.
- In a bowl mix your flour, baking powder, cinnamon and cake mix. Stir in your egg whites, milk and vanilla. Mix in 3 tablespoon of your toasted coconut, leaving the other 2 aside for topping. Pour out into a sprayed 6 hole donut pan.
- Bake in oven for 14-16 minutes.
- Melt your honey in a small dish in microwave for 25 seconds, use a pastry brush and brush onto donut tops, then sprinkle coconut on, I do one at a time.
- Makes 6 donuts at 4sp or 2pp each.
- Nutritional info, per donut .. Calories 94...Fat 2.4g..Saturated fat 2.1g..Carbs 14.6g...Fiber 1.2g..Sugars 5g..Protein 1.8g