Being that Taco's have their own day...Hello Taco Tuesdays!! 🙂 I figured I would come up with a easy taco recipe you can add to any meal. These taco potato skins are really easy to make, and best part is they are only 2 smart points each. You can always prep your potato's the night before to make for an easy meal the next day.. I promise your family will love these.
Taco potato skins
- 6 small-medium sized potatoes I used white, russet would work well too
- ½ lb raw extra lean ground beef
- ½ pack 15g taco seasoning
- ⅓ cup light shredded cheese I use a 3 cheese blend
- ¼ cup red onion
- ½ cup diced peppers
- 3 slices cooked low point bacon I use Oscar Mayer center cut
- Green onion & sour cream for garnish optional
- *Note- potatoes can be prepped the day/night before to make for less prep when you make recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400F, wash 6 potatoes and place on a baking sheet, pierce with fork and spray with a little cooking spray.
- Bake potatoes in oven for approx 50 minutes until potatoes are soft, let cool 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook your ground beef in a frying pan on the stove, add the taco mix and I like to add about 1Tbsp of water. Also cook your bacon strips, drain and crumble.
- Cut potatoes into 3 pieces, so you have your 2 ends and a middle, you don't need the middles, you can use them for extra "skinless" potatoes or I like to use them the next morning for hash browns.
- Turn oven on to broil. Scoop out your potato skins leaving about an inch of potato in them. Place skins on your baking sheet and spray with some cooking spray, place in oven under broil for about 8 minutes to crisp up. remove form oven and lower oven to 350F.
- Dice up your peppers and onion.
- Place ½ tablespoon of cheese into each potato skin, then fill with 1 heaping tablespoon of taco meat mixture, top with peppers, red onion and crumbled bacon.
- Return to oven for about 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately, optional to top with green onion and fat free sour cream.
- Makes 12 potato skins at 2 smart points each, not incl sour cream (2 points plus) Potatoes will store in fridge for a few days in sealed container, and you can freeze them as well. To re-heat just pop in oven. Feel free to double recipe if you require more potato skins.
- Nutritional info per skin (not incl any veggies) *please note when adding potatoes to recipe to figure out nutrition numbers I only added 4 and not 6 being that you do not use all of the potato.
- Calories 77...Fat 1.6g...Sat fat 0.7g...Carbs 9.5g... Fiber 0.8g .. Sugars 0.3g... Protein 6.6g