Looking for a quick and simple side dish to serve up, this sweet & spicy roasted butternut squash is so tasty and it’s the perfect time of year to make it. For my U.S friends that will be celebrating their Thanksgiving holiday soon, this dish would be a great addition to your table. With just little prep work needed, you can have this delicious side dish on your table in no time. Makes 12 servings at 1SP on all MyWW programs.
Storing, freezing, and reheating tips…
- To Make Ahead. Squash can be cut and cubed 1 day in advance. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake it.
- To Store cooked/roasted squash. Store leftovers in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.
- To Reheat. You can reheat over low in a skillet/frying pan on the stovetop, in the oven at 350 degrees F, or in the microwave until warmed through. The stovetop or oven would be my preferred method.
- To Freeze. For best results, place cooked butternut cubes in a single layer on baking sheets, and place in the freezer until frozen solid. Place frozen cubes in an airtight freezer-safe storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator the night before reheating.
Suggestions for making this an 0SP dish…
This recipe has 2 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp brown sugar, this is where the 1 point per serving comes from. As an alternative, you could use cooking spray instead of the oil, coat the squash with cooking spray then stir in the seasonings, this would make 1 serving 0SP, 2 servings 1SP. The oil is the prefered method, it will roast in the oven better but the cooking spray will still work if you are looking to save points.
Sweet and spicy roasted butternut squash
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced, about 6-8 cups
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 450F, line a large baking sheet with some foil.
- Peel, seed, and dice the squash, about 1-2 inch cubes, or smaller if you prefer.
- Place diced squash into a bowl, mix in the oil and all seasoning, stir well to coat all of the squash.
- Place the squash on the foil lined baking tray and bake for 25-35 minutes, till the squash is tender, stir a few times while baking.
- Makes 12- 1/2 cup servings *this might vary depending on the size of the squash.