Calling all fellow spinach & artichoke fans, this one is for you! I absolutely love a good spinach and artichoke dip, I also love grilled cheese sandwiches so why not combine the 2 for the ultimate combo. This spinach & artichoke grilled cheese sandwich is amazing!!! It only takes a few minutes to prepare and a few more minutes to cook, then you can bite into all the deliciousness! The recipe makes 2 sandwiches but you can easily just make 1 if that is all you need, one sandwich is 9 points on WW.
Tips and suggestions…
To keep points low use a low-calorie bread, here in Canada we sell the MyWW bread. I used the white, 2 slices are 3SP. If you can find a bread that is only 2SP for both pieces that will lower the total points. If you are not worried about the extra points then feel free to use your favorite bread. This recipe will work with any kind of bread.
If you can’t find shredded asiago cheese maybe look for a block of it that you can grate on your own. The asiago really does help with the overall deliciousness of this sandwich. If you want to use a different cheese that is fine too, perhaps a shredded mozzarella, swiss, or even cheddar.
I used a light cream cheese to help keep the points down, you could use the fat-free, or even use laughing cow cheese, which may bring the overall points down. Make sure the cream cheese is on the inside of the sandwich.
I only made this recipe with fresh spinach, frozen will still work, just dethaw it first. Canned artichokes work best, be sure to drain them well.
Make sure you coat the frying pan well with cooking spray so the bread will crisp up. You can even add some spray on the bread, if you are not worried about extra points you can use some butter.
The recipe makes 2 sandwiches, if you only want to make one just half the ingredients.
Spinach & artichoke grilled cheese sandwich
- 4 slices low point/calorie bread, I used WW white bread
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup canned artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 2 tbsp fat-free sour cream
- 2 tbsp light cream cheese, softened
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp each salt & pepper
- Add olive oil to a frying pan and heat over medium heat, add garlic and let cook for 1 minute then stir in the spinach. You want the spinach to wilt which will happen quickly, remove from the heat and place in a bowl, let the spinach cool.
- Drain the artichoke and chop it into small pieces. Add to the cooled spinach, then stir in the sour cream, parmesan and asiago cheese, salt and pepper until well blended.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat, spread 1/2 tbsp cream cheese on each piece of bread.
- Spread half of the spinach and artichoke mixture onto 2 slices of bread, cream cheese side up, top with the other piece of bread *Note, the cream cheese side is on the inside of the sandwich.
- Coat the frying pan well with some cooking spray and add the sandwiches, if pan is large enough you can cook both together. Cook on each side till browned and crispy.
- Remove from pan, cut in half and serve.
This is such a delicious sandwich! I put a little butter on my husband’s and used regular bread for his. Mine was WW bread so mine had a bit more filling. Will make again!! I really am enjoying your recipes. Thank you!!
Hi Maureen, yay I am so glad you both enjoyed the grilled cheese sandwiches 🙂