Sloppy joe is comfort food at it’s best.. not to mention easy peasy! I thought it would be fun to put a little twist on it and instead of the same old meat on a bun, this casserole is a simple solution for sprucing it up. 🙂 It takes very little time to prepare and I am sure it will be a family favorite.. The garlic biscuits on top are simply scrumptious.. Makes 9 servings at 7 freestyle smart points each, you can swap the ground beef for ground turkey or chicken to bring the points down.
Sloppy joe casserole
- 1 lb cooked extra lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 can of sloppy joe sauce (manwich 398ml)
- 2/3 cup light shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 7.5 oz can of pillsbury biscuits (In the 4 value pack, you can use bigger biscuits and weigh out or increase points)
- 1.5 Tbsp melted reduced calorie margarine
- 2 cloves fresh garlic (diced)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Cook your ground beef and onions on the stove in a pan, drain.
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a 9 inch square dish.
- Add your sauce to your meat and simmer on low for 5 minutes, stirring well.
- Pour meat mixture into your dish, top with cheese.
- Place 9 of your 10 biscuit dough pieces on top of mixture, you will have 1 extra biscuit.
- Bake in oven for 14 minutes. Just before the time is up, melt margarine and add diced garlic and oregano. Remove dish from oven and using a small spoon drizzle your garlic butter over top of all your biscuits.
- Return to oven for 6-8 minutes, until your biscuits are a golden brown. Makes 9 servings at 7 smart points on all 3 MyWW programs or 5PP
- Nutritional info (adapted from my fitness pal) Per serving.. Calories 204...Fat 9.3g... Saturated fat 3.6g... Carbohydrates 17.5g... Fiber 1.8g... Sugars 5.5g... Protein 13.2g