This Air Fryer Asparagus recipe is a quick and easy side dish you will love.
I love how the air fryer lets me get a wonderful texture on vegetables without having to use a bunch of oil.
It only takes 7 minutes in the Air Fryer to achieve perfectly cooked asparagus that's tender with a slight crispiness.
I whipped up a quick a tangy and zesty sauce using lime juice, oil, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper to add to the asparagus, but let me know your favorite sauces for asparagus down in the comments.
If you follow weight watchers, this tasty side dish is 1 point per serving.
Why you should try this recipe
Did I mention how quick and simple this recipe is?
All you need to do is rinse the asparagus, trim the ends, mix the sauce ingredients, brush it on, and pop them in the Air Fryer for 7 minutes. It's so easy that I simply flip the Air Fryer basket onto a plate, and voila!
Not only is this recipe a breeze to make, but it also produces beautiful asparagus that will make your plate look like it took way more time than it did.
Asparagus boasts a range of health benefits, including its high fiber content that will keep you feeling full and satisfied. And let's not forget about the Parmesan cheese. Don't worry about using it sparingly; its intense flavor means you only need a sprinkle to enhance the dish.
- 500g asparagus spears
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil (such as soy, corn, or canola oil)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, 10 g.
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
A Note on the Ingredients
- Asparagus: Fresh and vibrant green asparagus spears are the star ingredient of this recipe. They bring a delicious and nutritious element to the dish.
- Vegetable Oil (such as soybean, corn, or canola): A small amount of vegetable oil is used to brush the asparagus before air frying. It helps to enhance the flavor and crispness of the asparagus during the cooking process.
- Lime Juice: Lime juice adds a tangy and refreshing twist to the asparagus. Its citrusy flavor complements the natural taste of the asparagus and adds a delightful zing to each bite.
- Parmesan Cheese: It adds a savory note. Just a small amount goes a long way in enhancing the overall taste.
- Salt and Pepper: These common seasonings are used to season the asparagus, balancing the flavors and enhancing their natural taste. A pinch of salt and a sprinkle of black pepper bring out the best in the asparagus.
How to Make Air Fryer Asparagus (step-by-step)
- Preheat your air fryer to 180°C (350°F).
- Wash and trim the asparagus, cutting off tough ends and adjusting the size to fit your air fryer basket if desired.
- In a small bowl, combine vegetable oil, grated Parmesan cheese, lime juice, salt, and pepper to create a flavorful sauce.
- Brush the asparagus with the sauce and place them in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 5 minutes for tender results or 7 minutes for a more toasted texture.
- Once cooked, remove from the air fryer and serve immediately.
- Optionally, garnish with extra Parmesan cheese and a squeeze of lime juice for added flavor
Variations and Substitutions
1. Garlic instead of Parmesan cheese: For a lighter option, you can substitute the Parmesan cheese with minced garlic. Sprinkle the minced garlic over the asparagus before air frying. This substitution adds a flavorful and aromatic twist to the dish.
2. Melted butter instead of oil: If you prefer the taste of butter, you can replace the vegetable oil with an equal amount of melted butter. Brush the melted butter onto the asparagus before placing them in the air fryer. The butter adds richness and a different flavor profile to the dish.
3. Toasted sliced almonds as a topping: To add some crunch and additional flavor, you can sprinkle toasted sliced almonds over the cooked asparagus before serving. Simply toast the sliced almonds in a dry pan over medium heat until they turn golden brown. Sprinkle the toasted almonds over the asparagus for an extra layer of texture and taste.
Tips and Tricks Section for Making Air Fryer Asparagus
- Measure and cut: Measure the asparagus spears to fit just slightly above the air fryer basket. Trim off any excess stalks. If the leftover stalks are tender, you can save them for another recipe. Waste not!
- Test for doneness: Start by air frying the asparagus for 5 minutes and check for doneness. If they are still slightly undercooked, you can continue cooking them for an additional 2 minutes. This way, you can ensure they are perfectly cooked without overdoing them.
- Intensify the green color: If you prefer a vibrant green color for your asparagus, place them on a plate and chill them in the freezer for about 5 minutes. The rapid cooling process helps to lock in the intense green color. This technique is similar to blanching vegetables in cold water after steaming them.
If you are looking for more Air Fryer vegetable sides, be sure to check out this roasted root vegetable recipe, air fryer sweet potato cubes recipe, or this delicious chinese style green bean recipes.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5-7 minutes
Air Fryer Asparagus
- 500 g asparagus spears
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil (such as soy, corn, or canola oil)
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese, 10 g.
- 1 lime Juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your air fryer to 180°C (350°F). In a small bowl, combine the vegetable oil, grated Parmesan cheese, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Mix well to create a flavorful sauce.
- Wash and trim the asparagus spears, cutting off any tough ends. If desired, you can measure and cut the spears to fit the size of your air fryer basket. Save any leftover tender asparagus ends for other recipes.
- Brush the asparagus spears with the sauce, coating them evenly.
- Place the coated asparagus spears in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Cook the asparagus in the air fryer for 5 minutes for tender results. If you prefer a more toasted texture, cook for 7 minutes.
- Once cooked to your desired level, remove the asparagus from the air fryer and serve immediately.
- Optionally, you can garnish with additional grated Parmesan cheese and a squeeze of lime juice for added flavor.