This delicious loaf was a request from a follower and boy am I glad she requested it (THANK YOU!) I love baking up loaves, especially when it’s chilly outside, it’s the perfect little treat with a cup of tea 🙂 I find red velvet flavor interesting, it’s not too much different form regular cake or loaves, with exception to using buttermilk, cocoa powder and of coarse red food coloring.. The end result for this loaf was scrumptious!! The cream cheese icing finishes it off for the perfect sweet treat, you can leave the icing off to save a point but I mean, c’mon.. it’s cream cheese icing!! 😉 Makes 10 servings at 5 smart points each.
Red velvet banana bread with cream cheese icing
- 1 egg
- 2 liquid egg whites 1/4 cup
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk 1%
- 2 medium mashed banana's
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp red food coloring
- FOR THE ICING
- 1/4 cup softened light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup icing sugar confectionery sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp light butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a regular sized loaf pan with non stick spray.
- In a bowl whisk your egg, egg whites and sugar together. Add in your buttermilk, mashed banana and vanilla. Mix well.
- Stir in your flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and soda. Then mix in your food coloring.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake in oven for approx 45-50 minutes.
- While loaf is baking mix up your icing, cream together your cream cheese, icing sugar, butter and vanilla. Chill icing in fridge. Each serving (with icing) is 5 smart points on all 3 MyWW programs or 3 points plus (old program) if you choose not to make the icing it will be 1 point less.
- Let loaf cool for at least an hour before icing, then cut into 10 pieces after you have iced the loaf, best stored in the fridge.
- Nutritional info per serving (not incl banana) Calories 127...Fat 2.4g..Sat fat 1.3g...Carbs 21.2g....Fiber 0.7g...Sugar 6g... Protein 4.1g..