I set out to make a tasty soft and healthy oatmeal cookie.. I love baking cookies, I mean who doesn’t?? I always try to get my cookie creations as low in points as I can, cause let’s be honest, no one wants to eat just one cookie 😉 . These healthy oatmeal ones are so good, the cranberries and dates give them a burst of flavor and they make a great snack or dessert. They are not a sweet cookie by no means but sure do hit the spot for a delicious snack and only 1 sP each on blue/green and 2 cookies for 1SP on purple. Bake some up today, you’ll be happy you did!
Healthy oatmeal cookies
- 4 dried dates (pits removed)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups oats (I use Quaker large flake oats, similar to quick oats)
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 Tbsp chia seed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar (unpacked)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (chopped into small pieces)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup liquid egg whites (in carton)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup warm water
- In a small sauce pan bring your 4 dates and 1/2 cup of water to a boil over high heat on stove, remove from heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Then run dates and water through the food processor.
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a large cookie sheet with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl mix your oats, flax seed, chia seed, brown sugar, baking powder, soda and cinnamon together. Mix in your dried cranberries, be sure to cut them into small pieces so they divide over cookies better.
- Stir in your date puree, apple sauce, egg whites, 1/4 cup warm water and vanilla and mix well.
- Drop by heaping Tbsp onto cookie sheet, shape with hands, cookies will not lose shape in oven.
- Bake for approx 10-12 minutes, let cool 5 minutes. Makes 35 cookies at 1 smart point each on both blue/green and 2 cookies for 1SP on purple (1PP each) Cookies best stored in fridge and can be frozen after 3-4 days.
- Nutritional info per cookie .. Calories 41.. Fat 0.9g... Sat fat 0.1g... Carbs 6.9g... Fiber 1g...Sugars 2g... Protein 1.5g