I set out to make a tasty soft and healthy oatmeal cookie.. I love baking cookies, I mean who doesn't?? I always try to get my cookie creations as low in points as I can, cause let's be honest, no one wants to eat just one cookie 😉 . These oatmeal ones are so good, the cranberries and dates give them a burst of flavor and they make a great snack or dessert. They are not a sweet cookie by no means but sure do hit the spot for a delicious snack and only 1PP each or 1 sP each on blue/green and 2 cookies for 1SP on purple. Bake some up today, you'll be happy you did!
Soft oatmeal cookies
- 4 dried dates pits removed
- ½ cup water
- 3 cups oats I use Quaker large flake oats, similar to quick oats
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon chia seed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar unpacked
- ¼ cup dried cranberries chopped into small pieces
- ⅓ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ½ cup liquid egg whites in carton
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup warm water
- In a small sauce pan bring your 4 dates and ½ cup of water to a boil over high heat on stove, remove from heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Then run dates and water through the food processor.
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a large cookie sheet with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl mix your oats, flax seed, chia seed, brown sugar, baking powder, soda and cinnamon together. Mix in your dried cranberries, be sure to cut them into small pieces so they divide over cookies better.
- Stir in your date puree, apple sauce, egg whites, ¼ cup warm water and vanilla and mix well.
- Drop by heaping tablespoon onto cookie sheet, shape with hands, cookies will not lose shape in oven.
- Bake for approx 10-12 minutes, let cool 5 minutes. Makes 35 cookies at 1PP each, unless oatmeal is a 0PP food for you then 2 cookies is 1PP, 1 smart point each on both blue/green and 2 cookies for 1SP on purple. Cookies are best stored in the fridge and can be frozen after 3-4 days.
- Nutritional info per cookie .. Calories 41.. Fat 0.9g... Sat fat 0.1g... Carbs 6.9g... Fiber 1g...Sugars 2g... Protein 1.5g