I love traditional gingerbread, I wanted to create a lightened-up loaf recipe which can be tricky because for me gingerbread should have molasses in it to get that true flavor, and well we all know molasses is like a gazillion points! This recipe is a prime example of sometimes just a little is enough. The loaf was so easy to whip up and I was able to get it to just 5SP per serving (on all programs) even with that sweet molasses in it.
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup light molasses
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¾ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Icing sugar/confectionery sugar for dusting on top *optional
- Preheat oven to 350F spray a 9x5 regular loaf pan with some cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a bowl mix together the flour and spices
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs with the brown sugar, add in the molasses, apple sauce, milk and vanilla.
- Add the dry mixture to wet mixture and mix well, pour batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, until baked right through.
- Let cool before slicing, dust with some icing sugar and cut into 10 equal servings.
- This loaf will frreeze well.
Points plus- 4 using PP calculator
Nutritional info per serving.. Calories 140...Fat 1.7g..Sat fat 0.4g..Carbs 26.3g...Fiber 0.8g...Sugar 10.9g...Protein 4g using My Fitness Pal *Note- includes all ingredients