It is that time of year, bring on all things peppermint! I look so forward to the hot chocolate peppermint drinks that come out, I’m not a coffee drinker so I get my fix with the hot chocolate drinks. It seems like it has been forever since I last baked up a new donut recipe and these chocolate-dipped peppermint donuts were the perfect addition to my white hot chocolate from Tim Hortons! This recipe makes 4 donuts but you can easily double it, the nice thing with just baking 4 is you won’t have a plate full of donuts tempting you! Each donut is 4 points on WW.
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Peppermint extract
- Candy canes
- Dark chocolate
What donut pan do you use?
I get asked this a lot, or where to buy one. I have the Wilton 6 hole donut pan that I ordered from Amazon, I actually have a few of these, I like the Wilton one. If you do not want to order one online I know in Canada Michael’s craft store carries them, and I’ve seen them in many grocery stores in the baking aisle. In the U.S, although it has been a while since I was last there I am pretty sure Target carries them.
Tips & suggestions…
This recipe makes 4 donuts, I find when baking donuts they are best within a day or two of baking them, hence why this recipe is great for only making 4. You could easily double the ingredients if you want to make more. If any make it past the 2 days which let’s be honest they usually don’t, I freeze them, then just let thaw when you are ready to have one again.
The candy canes I used were regular size, you know the ones you would hang on a tree if that is your thing. They weighed 13 grams each and my WW app scanned them at 2PP each. You can use mini candy canes if that is all you have maybe just weigh them out to get 26 grams that way you know the points will stay the same.
You could substitute the sugar for a sweetener of choice, you would need to build the recipe in your WW app to find the correct points if you do this.
For personal points, the only ingredient in this recipe that could be a 0PP food for someone is the 1 egg, I determined that if you have eggs as a 0PP food the donuts are 4PP, if not then they are 5PP.
Chocolate dipped peppermint donuts
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk *I used skim
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 candy canes, crushed *mine weighed 13 grams each
- 1.5 squares lindt 70% chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a donut pan with some cooking spray *this recipe only makes 4 donuts, I used my 6 hole Wilton donut pan.
- In a bowl whisk the egg, add in the sugar, then mix in the milk and peppermint extract.
- Stir in the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and baking powder, mix till all ingredients are blended.
- Crush the candy canes 1 at a time, pour one of the crushed candy canes into the batter and stir well.
- Divide the batter into 4 in the donut pan, I used a small spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 10-11 minutes. Let cool
- Melt the chocolate on a flat plate in the microwave, you do not want it to burn so do it in 30 second intervals on power 8, after every 30 seconds flip the chocolate pieces. Mine took about 2 minutes in total to melt.
- Dip the donuts into the melted chocolate to coat the tops of them, then sprinkle the crushed candy cane pieces on top. The chocolate topping will harden after about 30 minutes. Best stored in a sealed container for a few days.