I recently spent the night at a nice hotel with my husband, in the morning they served us a delicious continental-type breakfast right in our room 🙂 On the tray was an incredibly yummy fresh baked strawberry loaf with a crumble on top and it was to die for... It was just a tiny loaf and my guess is each little piece was way more points than I wanted to spare, but I enjoyed a little anyway.. I then said I must try and recreate this in a WW friendly way 🙂 I had to get creative though because we have a shortage of strawberries right now in Ontario and stores want $7.99/lb for them!!!! So I thought jam would be a great alternative, I also added the banana as I knew that would help keep the loaf low in points.. It is simply scrumptious.. one of my favorite loaves I have made to date, and the sugar crumble on top is OMG yum!! Makes 10 nice sized pieces at 4 points per serving on WW.
Banana strawberry jam loaf
- 1.5 cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites I buy the "just egg whites" cartons, ¼ cup is 2
- 2 mashed ripe bananas
- ¼ cup plain or vanilla greek yogurt 0%
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup strawberry jam I use a less sugar kind
- Crumble topping
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2.5 tablespoon flour
- ¾ tablespoon melted reduced fat margarine
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a regular sized loaf pan.
- In a large bowl mix your flour, sugar and baking soda together
- In a small bowl using an electric mixer beat your banana and eggs, add in yogurt and vanilla and mix.
- Pour wet ingredients into your dry and mix well, batter will be thick.
- Place about ⅔ of your batter into the loaf pan.
- Put your jam in a small zip lock bag and cut of a small hole, drizzle the jam over the batter in your pan. Top with remaining batter and spread out, its okay if some of the jam is showing.
- In a small bowl mix your sugar and flour, add your melted margarine and mix til a crumble is formed. Sprinkle on top of loaf
- Bake in the oven for about 40-43 minutes, let cool and cut into 10 slices, 4 personal points and 4 freestyle smart points per serving on all 3 MyWW programs .. Please note when figuring out points I do not add bananas in, I never count fruit whether it be alone or in a recipe for points plus and for smart points we don't have to add the fruit, however the nutritional info includes the bananas and this may affect the points if you enter the numbers into the calculator.
- Nutritional info (adapted from my fitness pal and includes fruit) Per serving.. Calories 143.. Fat 1.2g... Saturated fat 0.3g... Carbohydrates 30.2... Fiber 2.2g... Sugars 10.2g... Protein 4.2g