I always have a hard time thinking of what to have as a side dish. I try to avoid rice and too much potato’s with the points being so high, and I am not one for eating vegetables by themselves. These tasty cheese & bacon broccoli bites are a perfect side dish, or make them as an appetizer for your next party. Either way they are sure to please, and only 1 smart point each 🙂
Bacon and cheese broccoli bites
- 3 cups of frozen broccoli
- 6 slices of bacon I use Oscar Mayer center cut to keep points low
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs I use the Japanese style, 1/2 cup based on my label is 3sp
- 2 T white flour
- 2/3 cup light reduced fat grated cheese, I use a 3 cheese blend
- 2 T finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- Dash of salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a 24 mini muffin pan.
- Cook your 6 slices of bacon on the stove and set aside. Place frozen broccoli in a microwave safe dish and add 2T water, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Chop broccoli up into very small pieces, you can use a food processor if you wish, I just prefer a knife. Crumble up your cooked bacon. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Using a spoon fill a 24 sprayed mini muffin pan with mixture, pat down a bit with your spoon.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes, then turn over and bake another 10 minutes. Serve with your favorite dip. 1 sp or 1pp each bite.
- Nutrtional info, not including broccoli, per bite.. Calories 32... Fat 1.8... Saturated fat 0.3g... Carbs 2.1g... Fiber 0g... Sugars 0.1g... Protein 2.2g