This recipe came to me one day because I just wanted a simple breakfast dish you can pop in the oven, walk away and then enjoy when it’s ready.. I was in serious food heaven when I tried one of these apple cinnamon french toast sandwiches, every bite tasted better than the next and I did’nt want it to end 😉 They are also really filling and one is plenty.. I promise the family will love this delicious french toast creation and it is so easy to make! Serves 4 at 4 freestyle smart points each (not incl the syrup) and you can easily increase it to serve 6 if necessary.
Apple cinnamon french toast sanwiches
- 8 slices of low calorie bread such as Sara Lee, here in Canada I used the new PC low calorie bread.
- 2 apples peeled and diced
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup liquid egg whites in the carton
- 1 cup 1% milk
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a casserole type dish with some cooking spray, I used a 9x13 but you can use whatever size will fit your bread.
- Mix your diced apples and 1 tsp cinnamon (leave other tsp aside) in a microwave safe bowl, cover tightly with some saran wrap and microwave for about 3 minutes, then stir well.
- Lay out 4 slices of your bread in your dish, top evenly with your apples, then place your other 4 slices of bread on top to make sandwiches.
- In a large bowl or a large measuring cup whisk your eggs and egg whites together, and in your milk and 1 tsp cinnamon, as an alternative you can sprinkle the cinnamon on the bread before pouring your egg mixture.
- Pour your egg mixture over your sandwiches cover them as well as you can, in my case since I used the bigger dish I did have mixture that went out into the ends of the dish, but it will all still be part of the serving.
- Bake in oven for approx 45 minutes, make sure eggs are cooked.
- Serve with some syrup, I used the ED.Smith no sugar added syrup, 2Tbsp is 1SP..
- Makes 4 servings, to make 6 just increase your ingredients by half (so 12 slices of bread, 3 apples, 3 tsp cinnamon, 6 eggs, 2 cups egg whites and 1.5 cups milk)
- *Optional to add sugar-free syrup