One of my favorite things about the summer and festivals is all the food trucks that show up with every kind of food you can imagine. Although we didn’t get to go to any last summer, here’s hoping that summer 2021 might look a little different. If I ever see the blooming onion truck you can bet you’ll catch me in the lineup.. I’ve been wanting to try my own lightened-up version in the air fryer because all that oil is definitely not point friendly. This turned out amazing and fulfilled that fried food crave without all the points, serves 4 at 4SP on blue and purple, 5SP on green. I included a simple chipotle aioli dip which goes perfectly with it, 2 Tbsp is 2SP on all programs.
Air fryer blooming onion
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Dash salt & pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups 1% milk
- Cooking spray
Chipotle aioli dip
- 1/2 cup calorie wise mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup 0% plain greek yogurt
- 2 chipotle peppers (from a can)
- 1 Tbsp adobo sauce (from the can of chilies)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lime
- Cut the pointy stem end of the onion off and then peel the onion. Place onion cut side down, about 1 inch from the root make a cut all the way down, repeat to make 4 evenly placed cuts around the onion. Continue slicing between each section until you have 16 evenly spaced cuts. Turn the onion over and gently use your fingers to separate the pieces.
- In a bowl large enough to place the onion, whisk the eggs and milk together.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour and seasonings together (paprika, cayenne pepper, oregano & garlic powder)
- Place onion in the flour mixture and use a spoon to cover onion with mix, shake off any excess
- Now dip the onion in the egg mixture, make sure the whole onion gets wet from the mix, let drip then repeat in the flour and cover as well as you can with the flour mix. Set in fridge and heat air fryer to 350F.
- Spray the onion before placing it in the air fryer with some cooking spray, you want to coat it well with the spray. Cook for 25 minutes, you can add a few sprays while it is cooking.
- While the onion is cooking you can make the chipotle aioli sauce, add all the ingredients to a food processer and mix for a few minutes. Store in the fridge.
- *Note- when figuring out the points for WW I only used 1 cup of flour, 1 egg and 1 cup of milk, you will have leftover but that amount is needed so you have enough to dip and cover the onion. *Note- the dip should yield 1 cup and is 2SP for 2Tbsp on all programs.
Personal Points- 4-5 depending on your 0PP foods Smart points- blue/purple- 4 using WW recipe builder Smart points- green- 5 using WW recipe builder Points plus- 4 using WW recipe builder Chipotle aioli dip is 2SP per 2Tbsp on all programs Nutritional info per serving...Calories 182...Fat 2.4g..Sat fat 0.8g...Carbs 31g...Fiber 1.8g..Sugar 7g...Protein 7.5g using My Fitness Pal *Note- these numbers include all ingredients, even 0SP foods
Saw you post this on Instagram and instantly knew I needed to make this! Happened to have all of the ingredients on hand so it’s like the stars aligned. Made this and it was SO GOOD! ? definitely making again
Yay!! So glad you enjoyed it 🙂
For the blooming onion recipe, are the WW points for 1/4 of an onion? I know the recipe says 4 servings, but I just wanted to check because there’s only 1 sweet onion in the recipe.
Hi Vanessa, yes that is correct, 1/4 of the onion 🙂