Did you fall off the wagon over the holidays, or maybe you never really got back on, believe me, I get it, more than you know! We are 5 days into the new year and maybe you’re struggling on how to find the motivation your desperately seeking.
I spent 11 years making promises I just did not keep, each new passing year I claimed “this was my year” I’d go full force for the first few weeks, and then let old habits take over. It was a vicious game I played with myself year after year, thinking I could do it and then convincing myself I could not. January 2014 I fought harder than I ever had before, I broke through that cycle and told myself every day I was strong enough to keep going.. 10 months later I hit my weight watcher lifetime goal, something I had lost for many years as I had first earned it back in 1998. I have since maintained my weight loss of 50lb, I won’t lie, I still struggle, I still fall off track, but I have the tools and the right mindset now that its always just temporary and I get right back to it. So how do you make this “your” year, the one you can look back on and say “I did it!’
I can say it is as simple as just doing it.. and at the end of the day it is.. but there are definitely tools that will make it easier for you.
- Meal planning, food prep- while I was losing the bulk of my weight I always pre-planned my day the night before. If you can pre-plan your week even better. Whether you plan out a day or a week it will help you stay on track, I can honestly say that about 95% of the time I stuck to the plan I laid out for the following day. If you lead a busy schedule food prep can be extremely helpful, commit to having a few hours on Sunday to prep your lunches for the week, if they are there ready to go in the fridge it will take out the worry of scrambling in the morning to make a lunch and giving in to temptations of grabbing fast food instead. With all the online tools now at our fingertips meal planning does not have to be a complicated thing. I have teamed up with slender kitchen who create amazing meal plans and you can custom your own for any program your following, link is here and code to save 25% until January 9th is “YEAR18”
- Support system- It is so important to have support during your weight loss, it is different for everyone and that’s ok, but take the time to find a resource for yourself. I turned to social media, January 2014 was the year I first started my Instagram account, and back then it was not the huge community it is now, but it was exactly what I needed. I connected with so many on similar journies. I logged my journey and it held me accountable, and the support and inspiration I received from others was what I needed to keep going. I firmly believe I owe a lot of my success to Instagram. If social media is not your thing, not to worry, if you are a weight watcher member perhaps attend meetings on a weekly basis. Ask around at your work establishment if there are others looking to lose weight and see if they want to work together, be each others support system. Most importantly, talk to your family, especially those you live with, it is hard to be successful if you have a household that is not supporting you. Make them aware of your goals and ask them to be supportive of them. Do not be afraid to put you first and tell them this is very important to you.
- Be active- Some people think this is not a key to successfully losing weight, and it is true that many can lose weight on just diet alone, but without activity, your weight loss will eventually slow down, and if you are maintaining it will become more difficult over time. Being active can be as simple as adding 30 minutes of walking a day to joining a gym and committing to daily workouts. The great thing here is you set the tone, when I first started losing my weight in January 2014 I solely focused on my diet alone for 2 months. I then added in walking, and I started off small, I would do 2- 30 minute walks a day. I slowly worked my way up and 4 years later I can call myself an avid walker, I average 20-25,000 steps a day, walking is a huge part of my routine. I also have a gym membership but if I’m being honest that is something I need to work on more, I do not go as often as I’d like to. If you have not heard of Stepbet I strongly encourage you to check it out. I have been hosting stepbet challenges for 1.5 years now with no plans on stopping. Stepbet is a stepping challenge that you bet on yourself to complete 6 weeks of stepping goals that the App will assign you once you sync your tracker, complete all 6 weeks and you win your bet back guaranteed plus split the pot with the other winners. You won’t get rich, I added up my winnings for 2017, a total of 8- 6 week challenges, and after getting my bet back I made an additional $57 for the year. I was paid to walk, something I should be doing anyway, and I decided at the beginning of the year I would donate my winnings to my local animal shelter since my pup Riley does most of my steps with me. I firmly believe these challenges helped me maintain my weight over the past year. I have a new game starting January 28th, once you download the App (stepbet is all App driven) you can search my game using code “drizzlemeskinny”. I’d love to have you join in, but either way commit to some form of activity.
- Challenge yourself to new things- There are endless possibilities for this one, join a gym, take a cooking class, sign up for your first 5k! Taking on a challenge not only give us something to thrive for but it makes us feel pretty damn good when we accomplish what we set out to do. Maybe try your first Dietbet game if you have not yet, I have been hosting them for a couple years now and the motivation and support is amazing, here is the link for my next game that starts January 15th. Trying new things does not only have to relate to your weight loss journey, maybe you want to learn a new language, I say go for it! When we try new things it makes us feel good, when we feel good we want that feeling with everything in our lives so we work harder on the other areas ie: our diet and activity. Stepping out of your comfort zone and into a world of new oppurtunities is one of the best things you can do for yourself.
- DON”T QUIT! Quitting is not an option, and only you are in control of that. A bad meal does not need to turn into a bad day, a bad day does not need to turn into a bad week. We pick ourselves up and we move on, we remember our “why” we dig deep for our “fight” and we put our will power to its full strength.
I will end on this note…. 2018 can come and go and you can be in the exact same place you are in your journey today, or you can make 2018 the year you say enough is enough and take control. I know a year can feel like forever but before you know it you will be looking back and thinking.. man am I ever glad I started when I did.. Go fight for you and do not let any more years get away from you!